Friday, February 22, 2013

Tell me all about what your mama did that made her yours….





I struggled with school.  It wasn't fun and it wasn't easy.  Part of it was due to social stuff which I am, also, not good at.  Part of it was, I always choose the most difficult books to read.  I always choose the harder route. 
I would haul my backpack, packed with every book in my desk, back and forth every day.  I would study from the minute I got home until my mom declared it bedtime. 
I would end up in tears over not having it as easy as my brothers made it look.
My mom always encouraged.  And, was always happiest for me when the weekend came, or summer, or some other break from the struggles of studying.
She loved summer vacation!  She was not the mama who counted down the days till she could send her kids back to school.  She was not the mama who moaned and complained as we made messes, destroyed things, and created chaos.  She loved spending time with us.  She loved taking us to our grandparents' acreage on Friday nights for dinner of fish squares and mac and cheese.
She took us candy selling.  First, for me for Camp Fire.  Later, for all three of us as we earned our way to Camp Kitaki.  She encouraged, charted, and bribed (but in a good way, with the promise of hot chocolate) us to earn our way to camp and earn back the $50 deposit she had put down on each of our behalves.  Our money to spend as we wanted IF we earned it back.


Come join the writing flash mob...

4 comments:

  1. :) Love your memories of your mom~ I loved this prompt, as it is always good to take the time to think about what makes a person special to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing this. And hello? What an awesome picture you posted. That car rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That car was restored by a childhood friend's dad. He passed away about two years ago. My friend got married last spring. Her dads car, driven by her brother, played a huge roll in the wedding activities.

      Delete