Friday, November 16, 2012

Stay

Stay awake...
That is what I am doing right now.  I am not normally up at 6 a.m., but, I teach a cooking class at 10 a.m. on Friday mornings and today we are talking potatoes.  I want the kids to see that sweet potatoes do not have to be covered in butter, marshmallows, and brown sugar.  After all, they are SWEET potatoes.  So, I got up about an hour ago to put sweet potatoes in the crockpot with a little bit of water. 
According to the recipe, they cook on high for one hour and then low for 6-8.  Yes, I realize that means they won't be done, most likely, by the time I leave for class.  But, hopefully, done enough that the kids can at least taste them and/or I can put them in the microwave for a few minutes to finish them up.  I had several kids last week tell me they don't like sweet potatoes and have no plans of trying them.  We will see if that holds true.
We are, also, making cranberry salad.  So, there are cranberries diced up in my refrigerator in a cup of sugar.  Although, a cranberry salad was the kids idea, it will be interesting to see if they try it and like it.
As for my own children, they each tried a plain cranberry and my youngest had multiple.  (Can you see my sour face?)  I puckered on his behalf, but he enjoyed each one.

5 comments:

  1. I have never cooked potatoes in the crock-pot. I'll have to check that out.

    And what a find...a blog devoted strictly to 5 minute friday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same as Mary about your blog just for these posts, brilliant! So you teach a cooking class just for kids? Also, brilliant. I was simultaneously puckering and making a sour face as I read about your kids eating the cranberries. Hope it all went well. Thanks for stopping by Amy Learns. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://reimerrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/05/sweet-potatoes-in-crockpot.html Here is the link to sweet potatoes in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete