Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Roots


The first thought: roots, as in family ties.  The second is: roots, as in a head of hair in need of a new do.  But, honestly, today, roots is the ties of those sisters that God didn't give you by blood but through the course of life.
I have roots in Oregon.  I went to visit my bestie.  Who moved to Oregon with her husband and girls a little over a year ago.  It was so nice to have the someone I love to laugh with even at things that are not really appropriate to laugh about.
She gets me.  We both grew-up Catholic.  We both had moms who had in-home day-cares.  We both are the oldest and have only brothers.  We both love children and have loved working with them are whole careers.  She lost her dad when she was in college.  I lost my uncle before I was born.  Both were hit when riding a bike (one a bicycle the other a motorcycle).  All four of our parents went to Northeast High School.  Our dads did not fit into the good guy crowd.  Her mom and my dad grew-up blocks apart.
Roots are friends in my hometown.  Roots are the friend I dropped a birthday gift off to today.  The one who would go for long walks with me and we would discuss fertility issues, being new moms, and many other things.
Roots are Deana, Sarah, Marcy, Tess, Mary, Angie, and Jessi.  All women that when needed are there to listen, scold, hug, and support.
These are my sisters in Christ.  They are each loved deeply.  God might not have given me sisters biologically, but He more than made up for it in the amazing sisters I have met since I started walking with him almost 13 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment