Saturday, December 1, 2012

Wonder

I am a doula.  So, logic says I should spend 5 minutes writing on the wonder of birth.
However, this a.m. I met with my husband's birth mom.  No, he is not adopted.  His birth mom decided she didn't want the role of wife when my husband was 4 and do to mental unstability on her part my husband was given to his dad.
Three, almost 4 years ago she moved to the midwest.  Where I am.  Where my husband is.  Where her grandchildren are.
We don't communicate well.  I stuffed and stuffed and stuffed for 12 years.  And, then, she told me she wanted to know why I kept her at arms length.  I asked if she was sure and she said yes.  So, I let her have it.
Now, 16-months later, I find it easier to speak more harshly to her than I am comfortable with.  She does not see it as yelling or even being overly harsh.
So, a few weeks ago we met with my Pastor.  We have met with him twice now.  At the end of our last meeting she asked if we could meet to, "make a plan."  So, this a.m. we met.  At Perkins for one hour.
I am still wondering what she wants from me us. 
She wants more of our time.  But what does that look like?  She wants nothing to do with anything religious we have going on.  Well, that eliminates a lot.  She wants to go to the boys things if it is appropriate.  Well, if she was taking them, yes, but since her mental health isn't stable it is not okay for her to go unaccompanied anywhere with her grand-kids.  So, no, there aren't many things she can go with them to without it being a little awkward.


1 comment:

  1. I can see how you're wondering about the future with her in it. Maybe God will show you some wonder in how your relationship with her will evolve.

    ReplyDelete