Friday, October 26, 2012

Voice

Sometimes, my voice is loud.  Sometimes, it is quiet.  Sometimes it is uncertain.  It amazes me how the tone of a voice can change the context of what is being said.

Once Upon A Time...
I attended a Bible study with a good friend.  She is an outspoken, doesn't like silence kinds of woman.
I'm the quiet, contemplative, wait for it and I'll give you my thoughts one.
So, after several years of attending Bible studies together she asks me, in frustration, why I never say anything.  My response, "because I can handle silence and you can't.  So, I know if I wait two seconds I won't have to answer."  ;-)
We haven't been in Bible study together in a few years, but it seems that she is becoming quieter and more contemplative and I am becoming more outspoken.  I would love to participate in a Bible study with her just to see if we really have changed or if the rules of our young married lives still hold.

I love when children aren't listening and you can play with your voice to get them to listen.
I have been known to whisper math assignments to my 5th graders, give drill sergent orders to my sons, yell on occasion when someone is getting in harms way (ie not being safe in a parking lot).
Our voices are amazing things.  With a little inflection a comment can become a question or an exclamation.
I took sign language in college.  Our instructors were deaf.  It was interesting at the end of the term when they shared their voices with us. 


You can come join the Friday flash mob, just click the link.


1 comment:

  1. I am a rather outspoken kind of person, too, though as I get older I am finding that I don't speak as often out loud anymore, and I keep some thoughts to myself. There's still those times where I feel like I need to cover the silence with words. It's weird how it works that way sometimes :)

    Visiting from Five Minute Friday. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete