Friday, October 5, 2012

Welcome

Welcome home.  Welcome in.  Welcome, Dear God, what am I going to write?
Welcome home is not a common phrase in my life.  I have never moved away from home.  I have lived 34 years in the town where I was born.  I can take a less than an hour drive and drive past every residence I have ever lived in.
My parents' bought their current home two weeks before their first child, me, arrived.
I know I am always welcomed there.  Same with my grandparents' home, even though it has changed addresses and my grandpa is no longer in his rocking chair, I am always welcome there.
This week I celebrated my 34th birthday.  My grandpa, if he were still alive, would have celebrated his 82nd birthday.  Today, my youngest celebrates his 4th birthday.
Not feeling welcomed is probably a stronger word to write about.  I never felt welcomed in the church where I was raised.  It wasn't till I was 21 and first met Jesus that I finally was "welcomed" at church.  I felt like I belonged, FINALLY!  After all those years of going to church and trying to be "good enough."
As part of the family of Christ, I am amazed where I feel welcomed.  I am amazed at how small the Christian community in my home town is.  In this city of 200,000+ it seems like if you meet someone and they are a Christian, they know pretty much everyone you know who is a Christan.  It keeps facebook interesting, seeing who is related to whom.
I started BSF again this fall, like the last 6 falls before it.  My discussion leader has the same name as a girl I went to high school with.  So, I ask girl from high school, via facebook, how they are related..."She's my aunt."
This town sure is small sometimes.  But, God's love and welcome is spread far and wide.


Come play along...

1 comment:

  1. I love what you wrote! Ironically, I always associate welcome with home.

    ReplyDelete