Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dive

A new year and new challenges...
Our Pastor told us at church that he was going to challenge us to read through the Bible in a year and have accountability as part of our church family.
I thought, "I would like to finally make it through the whole thing."  Then, I left for Christmas in Kansas.
We didn't get back till after the new year.  So, I purchased a Woman's Guide to reading the Bible in a Year in a little bookstore in Lawrence.
THEN I returned home to discover in my stack of mail the reading schedule for church...  The church schedule is not the same as the book, but I already committed to the book with my BF.  SO, I'm doing the book and my church family is doing something different.
As I read, I am in chapter 30 of Genesis, I find myself reflecting on the "downward spiral of our culture."  And, thinking, "REALLY!  Did you see the mess Abraham and Jacob had going?"
I was, right before I realized I could be participating in 5 minute Fridays, reading where Leah says, "God has rewarded me for letting my husband sleep with my maid."  Which, just blows my mind.  Poor lady.
I do wonder if we will get God's commentary on our stupidity when we get to heaven.  And if Leah, Rachael, and others will be there.  Their husband is one of the fathers of our faith and in the hall of fame in Hebrews.  But, what about the wives?

3 comments:

  1. I started reading through the Bible for the first time this year too, and I'm surprised daily by how much I've missed along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica
    Yes, I wondered what was going on in Sarah's mind. But then, I suppose their culture were completely different than ours! Oh, we and our chronicles of stupidity.
    Hugs XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia,
      I was wondering, too, if Hagar, being from Egypt, would consider what the Lord told her about her son, to be a comfort?

      Delete